This Week’s Featured Recipe
For the pie:
7 oz (200g) dried chestnuts, soaked overnight
2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
12 oz (340g) mushrooms, washed & sliced
4 tbsp olive oil
2 slabs of vegan puff pastry
For the sauce:
2 tsp corn flour
5 fl oz (140 ml) chestnut stock
2 tbsp tomato puree
Few drops of soya sauce
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 400F/200C. Have a 10 inch (25mm) diameter ovenproof
- Simmer the chestnuts in the soaking water for half an hour or so,
until tender. Drain and slice. Keep the stock and put aside in a large
- Fry the onions and garlic until golden brown. Add the mushrooms and
fry until tender. Add all these to the chestnuts and leave.
- Next make the sauce: mix the corn flour with 5floz of chestnut
stock to make a smooth paste. Whisk the paste into the other ingredients
of the sauce. Stir thoroughly into the chestnut mixture.
- Roll out the slabs of pastry on a floured surface and use one to
cover the plate. Trim the edges and fill with the mixture up to 1 inch
(25mm) from the edge. Brush with water and lay second slab on top, trim
the edge and seal well, crimping pastry edges.
Use remaining pastry to decorate your pie.
- Brush with soya milk and bake for 45 mins, middle shelf, until
golden brown and risen. Serve with a varied and colorful selection of
Your question and comments are welcome