Curried Lentil, Potato and Cauliflower Soup (www.savvyvegetarian.com)
Makes 6 to 8 servings
• 1 1/2 tablespoons light olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and diced
• One 16-ounce can salt-free diced tomatoes, not drained
• 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder, or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• Pinch of nutmeg
• 2 1/2 cups finely chopped cauliflower pieces
• 2 cups finely chopped fresh spinach leaves
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over
medium-low heat until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until both are golden.
3. Add the lentils, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Cover with 6 cups
4. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer
gently for 10 minutes.
5. Add the potatoes, tomatoes, and curry powder, and simmer until the
potatoes are about half done, about 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Add the cauliflower and simmer until the lentils and vegetables
are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
7. Stir in the spinach, cilantro, and lemon juice. Adjust the
consistency with more water as needed, then season with salt and pepper.
8. Simmer over very low heat for another 5 minutes.
9. Serve at once or let stand for an hour before serving, then heat
through as needed.
Your question and comments are welcome